Re: Can an XML authoring tool import MS Word Docs?

Subject: Re: Can an XML authoring tool import MS Word Docs?
From: Thom Randolph <thom -at- halcyon -dot- com>
To: Ron Rhodes <RRhodes -at- fourthchannel -dot- com>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 Nov 1999 07:20:46 -0800

Ron:

Interleaf's BladeRunner product, though expensive,
does this. It adds a menu to Word with which you
write and read XML. Actually, using that product,
the documents are NEVER stored as word DOCs, only
as XML. The catch? There has to be a very strict
correspondence between the Document Type Definition
(DTD) and the Word template. Use the Word styles
incorrectly or out of order, and the translation
won't go. If you're looking for something you can
use as a free-lancer, BladeRunner will likely be
way too expensive. I think it runs in the multi-
thousands of dollars per user; their pricing model
is very confusing.

So, such a beast exists (it even handles the Word
revision marks), but only a few can afford it!
I hope that does more than merely whet your appetite.

Thom Randolph
a-trand

At 07:58 AM 11/5/99 -0500, Ron Rhodes wrote:

To All:

Does an XML authoring tool exist which enables a tech-writer to import Word
documents? I downloaded test-drove xMetal and it does not have an import
feature.

Suggestions?

Ron
rrhodes -at- fourthchannel -dot- com

Moving your documentation online? We can help with standards, planning,
or training. Visit us at http://www.weisner.com or mailto:info -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-
Sponsored by DigiPub Solutions Corp. Make your team FrameMaker experts with
our Power User training for Adobe Acrobat and FrameMaker. Delivered at your
U.S. site or ours. http://www.digipubcorp.com, mailto:trainme -at- digipubcorp -dot- com

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: thom -at- HALCYON -dot- COM