Internationalizing screen shots for customizable software

Subject: Internationalizing screen shots for customizable software
From: Melanie_Albrecht -at- moldflow -dot- com
To: TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:42:39 +1000

on 11/3/99 12:58 PM, Rob Steiner wrote:

> The re-wording is going well, but we're kind of
> stumped on what to do with the screen shots, which are
> all in English.

Hi Rob

Our solution to that, which probably wouldn't work for you this time round,
is to not include screen shots in any of our documentation. Any features
(windows, buttons, fields...) are referred to by name, and any purely
iconic buttons (no text) are included as graphics.

Each screenshot causes a lot of work: it needs to be updated for each
language, and also between releases. Every time a feature changes, any
screenshots showing that feature have to be updated, even if the part of
the screen that you're discussing is unchanged. This is unnecessary work.

Even though including screenshots can be helpful, we made a decision that
the time spent on updating them would be better spent doing other work to
improve the doc.

What do other people think about this approach?

Melanie Albrecht
Senior Technical Writer
Moldflow Pty Ltd
www.moldflow.com

IMPORTANT: This transmission is intended for the sole use of the addressee
and may contain confidential or legally privileged information. If you are
not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use or dissemination
of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error please notify us immediately by telephone at [the
number / one of the numbers] set forth below so that we can arrange for the
return of the document at no cost to you.

Thank You.
Moldflow Corporation
781-674-0085 (United States), 613-9720-2088 (Australia), 33-472-8211-30
(France), 81-03-5325-3171 (Japan)