RE: US vs. UK pronoun/voice usage?

Subject: RE: US vs. UK pronoun/voice usage?
From: "Phil Saum (UK)" <phils -at- eu -dot- citrix -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 09:39:26 -0000

Like Neal, I am a British writer living in the UK. I think the the use of
the third person, passive voice is an _academic_ tradition as much as
anything. This style is more or less a standard for scientific documents,
not only in the UK, but in the US too. There is, however, a gulf between the
style of a scientific paper and user documentation. Whether this should be
the case is very much open to debate. Like Neal, I would issue a tut-tut
when reading a scientific paper that had been written in this way, but old
habbits die hard.

To summarise, I think it has less to do with cultural differences and more
to do with traditions in specific fields.

Phil Saum
Technical Writer

CiTR!X Systems

http://www.eu.citrix.com