Tech Writer - Why called such?

Subject: Tech Writer - Why called such?
From: "Anthony Markatos" <tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 1999 12:31:20 PST

Question to all listserv members:

Why are we called Technical Writers? Technology is implementation; it is about design; it is about HOW the product works.

Our primary job is not to write about HOW the product works. It is convey understanding of essential end user tasks accomplished with the product and how those tasks interrelate. It is, in other words, conveying understanding of WHAT the product does to help the user achieve his/her business goals. We may properly digress from the WHAT and discuss the HOW, but all effective organization is based on the WHAT.

How can we be viewed as "adding value" instead of "a necessary cost of doing business" if something as basic as our agreed upon title is so out-of-wack?

Tony Markatos
(tonymar -at- hotmail -dot- com)