RE: how to write click

Subject: RE: how to write click
From: "John Locke" <john -at- freelock -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 02:16:54 -0500

Amazing amount of mail on this. And nobody has mentioned the MSTP plain English version.

What's wrong with "On the File menu, point to Edit, and then click Copy."? No chance of confusion. Doesn't have to be wordy... after writing menu commands like this for a couple of days, you no longer even see the prepositions... and I believe the user gets the information clearly, as well.

Isn't that our goal? Aren't we writers? Shortcuts are fine for internal documents, but let's use English for our end users...

My opinion...

-John
http://www.freelock.com