RE: TechWriting for Ph. D's

Subject: RE: TechWriting for Ph. D's
From: Brian Clements <bclements -at- fpix -dot- com>
To: "'JRDerr -at- aol -dot- com'" <JRDerr -at- aol -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 09:17:17 -0600

I came to tech writing out of academia, and I know a couple of others who
have as well. I taught at a state university on an annual contract for
peanuts, hoping to find that ever-elusive tenure-track position, only to be
informed two weeks before the Fall '97 semester that my contract wasn't
being renewed. So I had to find work quick, and, luckily, a good friend who
has been in tech writing for about 15 years worked for a company that needed
a contractor. I think that's the best way to break in--to find an
entry-level contract position and work your way up.

And you're right on the mark to think that your ability to read, analyze,
and synthesize would serve you well in this profession. I've found that the
more highly-educated tech writers are, the faster they tend to move up the
ladder. After a year of contract work and quarterly raises (from $18/hr.
starting out to $25 at the end of the year) I was able to find a doc
management position which pays about three times what I was making in
academia.

I encourage you to check tech writing out, especially if you're in an area
like Seattle, or Austin, or Dallas, or San Francisco, or Boston, or
Virginia, etc. that has a lot of high-tech industry. It's suprisingly easy
work, even when the hours are demanding, and leaves plenty of time and
energy for other writing, if you do that sort of thing. I'm not crazy about
seeing all the people I used to compete against for teaching jobs running
over to compete with me for these jobs, but I'm happy to see other academic
refugees do well. Good luck!

Brian Clements
Documentation Manager
fpix, inc.
bclements -at- fpix -dot- com
214-659-5308

Visit us on the web at www.scriptorium.com

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: bclements -at- FPIX -dot- COM