RE: Midol Moment or National Tragedy? You decide...

Subject: RE: Midol Moment or National Tragedy? You decide...
From: "John David Hickey" <dave -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 17:36:15 -0500

Greetings!

> I still think grammar is vitally important for establishing
> credibility and a reputation of quality with the reader. I know if I read
> manual that was peppered with gems like "dont press the RESET buton or you
wil be
> rebooded,"

There's a critical difference between a grammar mistake and a typo. A typo
is an accident and we all make those. A grammar mistake is either sloppy or
ignorant, which should be easily spotted and corrected.

Typos have a nasty way of ducking under the writer's/editor's radar, so I
can easily forgive the occasional typo (that doesn't mean I won't have a
good laugh at the writer's expense!). As long as you can make out what the
writer meant to say, it's not so bad. Of course, if typos riddle the
document, then you've got something to worry about.

Faulty grammar construction in a published document is something else
entirely since it can mangle the meaning beyond all recognition. Not only
does it call the credibility of the author into question, but you're left
wondering exactly what the author meant to say.

Curtis' example had a bit of both, but I just wanted to draw a line between
the two types of mistakes.
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
John David Hickey
Grand Poohbah of Documentation
and proud recipient of two Wing awards

ToonBoom Technologies
Montreal, Quebec, Canada eh?
Tel: 514-278-TOON (8666)
Fax: 514-278-BOOM (2666)
Pag: 514-205-9209

Their site: http://www.toonboom.com
My site: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
Don't confuse my opinions with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.