RE: peanut butter and jelly - revisited

Subject: RE: peanut butter and jelly - revisited
From: "John David Hickey" <dave -at- toonboom -dot- com>
To: "Techwr-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 14:03:07 -0500

Greetings!

> Seriously, is this a feel-good-teamwork thing, that sucks down a couple of
> hours, involves embarrassed laughing about not sufficiently
> describing a jar
> such that the reader could not recognize the lid, and ends in everyone
> enjoying the fruits of their labor? I'd be curious to know if such an
> activity works, too . . ..

Oh come on, Sean! Isn't it obvious? The whole peanut-butter/sport-coat thing
allows the interviewer to see if you can break an object down to its
functional parts and then explain how they all work together to accomplish
the desired goal. Technical Writing in a (pea)nutshell!

As for the morons who've never seen a peanut butter sandwich before, imagine
the interviewer's predicament. They've never seen you before and are unsure
about how much you know about the technology at Hungarian Widget and
International House of Wax Ltd. If they want to see how your technical
writing brain works, the interviewer needs to pick something that they are
fairly sure you are completely familiar with so that you can explain it
without much research. Hence the peanut butter sandwich (unless you're
carb-free) or the sport coat (unless you are a nudist).

Sheesh... The morons are among us! <g>
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
John David Hickey
Grand Poohbah of Documentation
and proud recipient of two Wing awards

ToonBoom Technologies
Montreal, Quebec, Canada eh?
Tel: 514-278-TOON (8666)
Fax: 514-278-BOOM (2666)
Pag: 514-205-9209

Their site: http://www.toonboom.com
My site: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

They say the pen is mightier than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
Don't confuse my opinions with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.