Re: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?

Subject: Re: On-the-spot writing test during a job interview?
From: Jim_McAward -at- pittway -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 1999 11:43:05 -0500

I won't hire a writer unless they have performed well on a live
writing exercise - I've been using the stapler test for years. I
don't, however, spring it on anyone blind - I tell them before the
interview that I'll be asking for a writing sample. In almost all
cases, I save this for the 2nd interview (when I have the candidate
talk to their potential co-workers and/or other managers).

It's true that a writing test will apply pressure to those who "don't
test well"; but the job will do that also, and exact a much higher
cost if they fail!

Take care,
Jim

James G. McAward
Director, Tech Pubs/Curriculum Development
ADEMCO
Syosset, NY