Re: Tables of Contents for Web Sites

Subject: Re: Tables of Contents for Web Sites
From: anne -at- visi -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 17:11:34 -0600 (CST)

> Does anybody have experience using 'Java Navigator' from Auscomp?
> Alternatively, can anyone recommend a tool for creating cross-platform
> cross-browser collapsing/expanding tables of contents for HTML-based Help
> systems?

Paul,

I'm interested in the same thing. In addition to looking for a
tool to create a TOC and index (see "HTML TOC and index from many
files?"), I've been searching for a Java applet that could display
the TOC.

Take a look at the Java Boutique at http://javaboutique.internet.com/.
Several navigation applets, including cuppaTOC, SIRFreeTree, and
TreeApplet, look like they might do a simple collapsing/expanding TOC.
(Note that these applets were designed for a web site, not an HTML
document; I'm not sure how much adapting they might need.)

Can anyone tell me about the performance issues/tradeoffs involved
with using a Java applet for the TOC? I understand that download
time increases, but would a small applet add enough to be noticable?

Thanks,
Anne

Anne Chenette
anne -at- visi -dot- com