RE:question about UK

Subject: RE:question about UK
From: John -dot- Sheridan-Smith -at- bmwfin -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 09:22:18 -0000

> Yeah, C.V. is a fancy way of saying resume. It originates
> from the academic world, where such things are used by professors seeking
> employment.

CV is neither fancy nor restricted to the academic world; it is the
universal British term for what Americans call a resume.

Curriculum vitae means "life's course" or "life history".

>C.V.s tend to have a predefined structure.

As with many other areas of technical writing, the "correct" CV format is
(in the UK) the one that appeals to the preferences or prejudices of whoever
happens to be reading it. UK employers are increasingly becoming used to
CVs in a variety of styles.

There is no UK law against asking whether a migrant intends to make the move
permanent.

I find it irksome that interviewers ask so many questions to which the
reasonable answer is "I don't know" but such is the reality of the interview
process.

John -dot- Sheridan-Smith -at- bmwfin -dot- com