Re: What alternatives are there to "Information Mapping"?

Subject: Re: What alternatives are there to "Information Mapping"?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Mark Baker <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:48:02 -0800 (PST)

I remember that memo, it used to be on a web site and
you would be timed on how quickly you could find
certain words or phrases.

The goal was to prove that their way was faster.
Ironically, I was able to scan for the words faster
than they said I should, so I "failed" the test.

--- Mark Baker <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com> wrote:

> ian.saunders wrote
>

> >Does anyone have any comments (good or bad) about
> the "Information Mapping"
> >method of organising and presenting information?
> Are there any other
> >alternative methodologies that I might consider for
> training staff to
> write?
>

> I recently attended a seminar (read: sales pitch) on
> Information Mapping. In
> the course of this seminar we were given a simple
> exercise.
>
> First, we were given a memo written in paragraph
> form. The memo was densely
> written without breaks or headings and with lots of

=====
John Posada, Merck Research Laboratories
Sr Technical Writer, WinHelp and html
(work) john_posada -at- merck -dot- com - 732-594-0873
(pers) jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com - 732-291-7811
"The art of creating software that is usable by individuals is a communication skill. It is not a programming skill."
--Bill Atkinson, creator of MacPaint and HyperCard