RE: documentation process

Subject: RE: documentation process
From: Brijesh Bhaskaran <Brijesh_B1 -at- verifone -dot- com>
To: "'UmaP -at- NIIT -dot- com'" <UmaP -at- NIIT -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 18:31:57 +0530

Hi,
Now that you know the language guidelines that will be required to set-up, lets
get to the rest of the issues.

::Kinds of documents :
You can decide on the kinds of the documents/number of documents based on the
following criteria.
a. The intended audience: depending on each user category you can have a
manual.
->System Administration Guide: Dedicated to Sys
Admins.
->Getting Started Guide: For anybody who will
use the system
->User Guide: For Sys Admins, Developers and
other users
->Quick Chart/Installation guide: For all.

This makes the number to 4 manuals. This can change depending upon the actual
product. For example. If its a toolkit/SDK you are documenting then you could
have an API Ref. Guide and So on and So forth.

::Medium of output :
This is dependent again on the product. If its a stand alone application, then
you could have an online- help [which can HTML based or the normal winhelp
style]. You can also provide stand alone HTML based help. If the application
resides on a central server and its accessed over the network, then you can also
provide a HTML Manual or PDF file. Hardcopy/Printable version of the manual is
always a plus.

::Tools to be used:
Will depend on the medium of output, refer above.

I guess this should get you thinking about the documentation process. Let me
know if you have received any other answers to this.

Cheers!
Brijesh