Re: Contractors: Would you do this?

Subject: Re: Contractors: Would you do this?
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 09:39:12 -0800 (PST)

> I'm wondering what the contractors and consultants, on this
> list, think about this:
>
> I was asked to write a document entitled, "The Methodology
> for Creating On-line Help" for a perspective client>
> I was also asked to provide references.
<<snip>>
> This is the first time in 2 years (as a consultant) that
> I've been asked for something like "a methodology". What
> are your thoughts on this?

I would not do the methodology for free. I would charge them for it. Ideally,
you should write up a simple estimate that says you will do this methodology
and the help for a certain price. Otherwise, you are working for free.

Related Thoughts...

Methodologies: They are a bore, rarely implemented, and seldom reflect reality.

Asking to write them: I love it. It is easy money.

Asking to work for free: No way.

the prime reasons places get ripped off is because they don't check the person
out. This also allows incompetent people to continue working and undeserving
rates, when they should be unemployed or taking a pay cut for their
incompetence.

The Size of Topeka Kansas: I am okay with it for now.

Andrew Plato