Exempt/non-exempt survey results

Subject: Exempt/non-exempt survey results
From: Jim_McAward -at- pittway -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:13:38 -0500

Techwriters,

Here are the unanalyzed results of my exempt/non-exempt survey...
however please note both cavaets:

1. This information is anecdotal, and has not been *rigorously*
analyzed.

2. I do not offer an opinion either way on how technical writers
should be classified.

I am *very* appreciative of the many people who took the time to
respond to my initial survey and follow-up questions.

On the exempt/non-exempt question (i.e., what is your classification,
and do you get compensated for any time beyond your standard work
week), I divided respondents into three groups:

Exempt/no overtime compensation: 71
Exempt/paid overtime (either straight time or time x 1.5): 15
Exempt/no paid overtime but *official* comp time policy: 8

I followed up with *most* of the respondents, asking a few additional
questions. The most important question: "Was a post-secondary
education a requirement for getting your job?"

Education required: 34
No education required: 24
Not sure: 8

Data from managers, consultants, and/or those who work outside of the
USA were not included... their input was much appreciated, but not
relevant to the narrow scope of the survey.

What did I learn? I learned that the largest proportion of us are
considered "exempt" and get no compensation for time beyond the
standard work week. And, while a post secondary education (typically a
4-year degree) is favored, it's not a hard/fast requirement for a good
proportion of these jobs. (My pre-survey theory linking exempt status
with required education was pretty roundly debunked ;-)

We'll do a thorough analysis of the data, and should this result in
further noteworthy information, I'll be sure to post it here. Thanks
again for your participation, and have a great weekend!!

Best regards,

Jim

James G. McAward
Director
Technical Publications & Curriculum Development
ADEMCO
Syosset, NY