Re: Contract vs Permanent

Subject: Re: Contract vs Permanent
From: Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com
To: jktan -at- ctlsg -dot- creaf -dot- com
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 10:00:28 EST

>What kind of job do you prefer - contract or permanent? And why?

I've done a lot of contract work because it allows me to learn about a wide variety of subjects without having to make a long commitment to work I may discover I don't like. (pro) This diversifies my portfolio and makes me more hire-able. (pro)

But I don't like having to worry about lining up the next job, nor do I like the inconsistent income of contracting for a living. This con outweighs the pros of contracting for me -- which is a long-winded way of saying I prefer permanent employment. Preferably with employers who don't mind me freelancing with non-competitors on the side.

Which leads me to tack on a rider question -- if you are an employer, would you be prejudiced against hiring someone whom you suspected of freelancing on the side?

Nea Dodson