Fw: Team Building

Subject: Fw: Team Building
From: "Tim Altom" <taltom -at- simplywritten -dot- com>
To: "TechDoc List" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 12:50:20 -0500

Second one first. I think that such team building exercises are helpful for
teams that already have a fairly good glue, just as a touch-up. For teams
that are just a'borning, well, they're of limited value, in my view.

To me, the makeup of the team is head and shoulders above team building as a
predictor of success, as is the team manager. Trust exercises don't mean
diddly unless the same conditions for trust exist in the cubicles. If team
members can trust each other, that will become clear as the pressure
increases. Adversity bonds, not building exercises.

What helps more, I think, is a seminar or two on how to work together.
Wilson learning-style seminars are very helpful: workstyle, behavior styles,
learning styles. This training can help team members forgive each other more
readily, knowing that "He's just being an analytical, after all, he's not
out to piss me off". It lets team members stay off of each others' backs.

After that training, it's a matter of the manager making sure everybody's
fixed on a single goal. Two goals dissipate. Three goals disable. It's vital
for everybody to know what's going on and to be treated as equals. Project
management is an artform that not every manager is competent to practice.
But it can make a hellacious difference.

Tim Altom
Simply Written, Inc.
Featuring FrameMaker and the Clustar Method(TM)
"Better communication is a service to mankind."
317.562.9298
http://www.simplywritten.com