Re: To Cc or not to Cc

Subject: Re: To Cc or not to Cc
From: "Elna Tymes" <etymes -at- lts -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 18:50:42 -0800

Robert Heath wrote:

> In reviewing a colleague's draft of an online help system, I have noticed
> many places where she uses "Cc" as a verb, as in the following example:"If
> you want to Cc the email to another user,..."

It all depends. Having written manuals for the former cc:Mail company, and for
several other companies (including Novell) that had proprietary email packages,
I can vouch for the fact that "to cc" is an informal though quite acceptable way
of referring to sending someone a copy of something, usually email. But only in
the context of the particular package, and only because that's the way the
package refers to it.

If you're writing a help system for a generic application that includes email,
I'd look carefully at the application to see how copies are handled. If the
application - and previous manuals - uses the term "cc:" as a verb, then you
have a customer base that's used to it. If they're not used to it, I'd opt for
the more generally acceptable "copy" where possible.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems