numbering in styles in Word

Subject: numbering in styles in Word
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 12:28:05 PST

I've encountered problems with the autonumbering of styles in Word 97 SR-2. I checked the archives here, and I didn't find anyone else describing quite the same problem.

I'm creating a white paper template. I defined some numbered list styles, but in the Format> Style> Modify> Numbering dialog I don't have the Restart Numbering radio button which appears in Format> Bullets and Numbering. So the numbering picks up from the previous instance of the style. Minor annoyance, and I've seen some of your suggested work-arounds. I tried using the Format> Bullets and Numbering dialog, where I checked the restart button. The numbering does restart, but the paragraph indentation part of the style definition vanishes - not only in the selected block, but in every instance of the style. If I place the cursor in a line of that style, and then click on the style name, it does not reformat the selection back to the original style definition. It's as if I had re-defined the style. I can get the original definition back from the template by way of the Organizer, but there _should_ be some better way.

(What's that derisive chuckling I hear?)

What I can't figure out is why the numbering has any effect on the indentation.

As for work-arounds, I like the way many of you said this is a microsoft product, so ignore the feature by leaving it turned off. Others have suggested a macro to fix it. Since I'm preparing this template for users with a very low Word proficiency (they don't understand style definitions and they build their hanging indents with tabs) I'm trying to make this template "drive itself" with the least amount of skill needed on the part of the operator. It grates my nerves to put out a template they will have to number manually (or I'll have to go back and fix their attempts) and I'm wondering if anyone else has been hitting their head on this same wall.

It almost makes me miss FrameMaker. Almost, not quite.

- Alex