RE: log vs login

Subject: RE: log vs login
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 15:16:49 -0500

Okay:

The manual of style I use says use logon only as an adjective, logon screen,
for example. Do not use login/logout (logout strikes me as strange, anyway).
Verb use would be log on and log off.

However, like your developers, mine have never seen the style guide, even
though we make s/w specifically for use with the OSes developed by the same
company that publishes the manual of style <g>. Thus, I, too, have something
called, and labelled in the GUI, a "Login" screen. Thus, I recommend, you
use Login, despite the objections, if any, of your manual of style, as an
adjective and continue to log on and log off as two separate words.

Other than that, pick and define a way of doing business and stick to it.
Universally.

Best regards,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com