RE: Use of "You"

Subject: RE: Use of "You"
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 10:48:03 -0500

Hallo:

Tell the instructors that, while you understand they mean well and really
believe they know what they teach, they've been in academia too long and
have lost touch with the industry.

The implied 'you' only goes so far. The word 'you' has to show up. 'One' and
'the user' are stilted.

The thread you started might be more appropriate than the he/she thing
because you are addressing the state of the profession: academia versus real
world, is there a difference. I suppose, that's one of my beefs with the STC
<g>.

Anyway, does one go into teaching with no real-world experience as a tech
writer and, if not, how does one maintain one's skills after one leaves the
tw workforce to become sequestered as an instructor. I suppose, all this
begs the question: are the instructors writers or other professionals, such
as programmers or engineers, by training?

<see?>

Thanks, Joanne, IMHO, a good question.

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com