Re: Antwort: Long headings in FrameMaker

Subject: Re: Antwort: Long headings in FrameMaker
From: Chris Despopoulos <cud -at- arrakis -dot- es>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, joel_basart -at- INETCO -dot- COM
Date: Sat, 27 Nov 1999 09:41:45 +0100

I always use Shift-Return in the long entries of my
generated files. This is especially necessary in indexes
that have two-column (or three?) pages. The problem is,
each time you re-generate, you loose the line breaks.
Likewise, page breaks, which are also necessary in indexes
and other generated files.

So I made a solution... a Win only dll named TocBreaker,
which is on the FrameUsers.com site... Look in PowerTools >
CudSpan to download it for FREE. (I'm looking for
volunteers who can compile my plugins on Mac and UNIX.
Sorry, but I only have a Win machine these days.)

What it does: It stores page rbeak and line break info on a
reference page. Then, after you re-generate the file, you
use it to re-apply those breaks. Pretty simple. It
compares entries up to 255 chars - if you have more than 255
chars in an index or TOC entry, you need more help than I
can provide. If it finds a mis-match, it warns you, and you
can either abort or continue on. Also, if you picked up a
line break from the source, it only remembers the FIRST line
break in the TOC entry... You cannot have more than one
line break per entry. (Sorry, but dealing with two or more
line breaks per entry gets complicated, and I personally
don't need that feature. I make tools for myself, then
share them.)

I built it because I always forgot at least one break in my
index... I just used it on a brand new project, and I'd say
it saved me two hours on the index, alone. It's best used
in the later stages of a project, when the outline is
stable, and most of the index entries are in place. If you
change things too much, then it will find itself out of
sync, and start posting warnings.

Give it a try, and tell me what you think. The download
includes brief instructions for use. All I ask is that you
tell me what you think, and maybe buy a little less garbage
the next time you go shopping. Not a bad price, if the tool
really helps you.

Cheers cud