RE: What to call a guide accompanying an SDK?

Subject: RE: What to call a guide accompanying an SDK?
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 07:41:22 -0500

Peter Kelly asks a lot of questions.

> What would you call a guide or manual accompanying a software
> developer's kit? Can you have a guide to a kit? Does that not seem
> strange?

I would call it a guide. Yes, I think you can have a guide with a kit. No,
It doesn't seem strange to me, but then I seem strange to some. <g>

> The kit is a bunch of software components intended for developers so that
> they can whip out applications fast. I thought that the guide was the
> "kit"
> itself, since the components to be distributed in the SDK do not have any
> sort of documentation or user interface and the only indication one could
> get on how to use the "kit" was from the documentation--so why not call it
> the "SDK".

The above is a little confusing. Either you do have documentation, even if
it's built into the application, or you do not. And are you arguing that
you don't need documentation? If so, I will assume you have tested this
assumption on a user audience to see how they did without documentation.
Some people believe that if you truly design an intuitive application it
would need no documentation. I reserve judgment until someone brings me
such an application to test. I'd be happy to do so.

Regards,
Tom Murrell