RE: Resumes/Interviewing

Subject: RE: Resumes/Interviewing
From: MAGGIE SECARA <SECARAM -at- mainsaver -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com'" <Tothscribe -at- aol -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 15:51:39 -0800

> >> Tothscribe (Nea Dodson) asks:
> >> What would you think of the following resume layout?
> [snip]
>
> "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net> writes:
> > I prefer a different format:
> > 1. General Statement of My Objective.
>
> Statements of objectives are terrifyingly vague. Objective for what? The
> resume? (objective: get the job.) The job? (objective: prove I can do
> the job.) Life? (objective: work in edutainment, make a lot of money,
> play with the cats, and collect all the episodes of Buffy tVS.)
>
> All of those look particularly bad when actually written down,
> particularly item 3. :>

I've always--and I do mean always--thought a statement of objective was
pretty lame. My objective, I should think, is to get this job, make more
money, and stay out of trouble. And to collect all the episodes of Buffy
<g> Every "Objectives" statement I've ever seen sounds like one of some
sappy mission statement. I've never used one and no one has ever asked me
where it was. They're going to ask that stupid "Where do you see yourself
in five years" question or they're not.

> Connie Giordano's idea of a Summary of Qualifications is a good one,
> though. If I'm reading this correctly, you mean a summary of the
> achievements lists, something like "Taught 3 classes and Wrote 73 User
> Guides, 17 SOPs, and 5 in-house guides," yes?

And then there was the time a hiring type looked up from my resume and asked
me what an SOP was.