RE: HUGE price rise, format conversions, and HTML Transit

Subject: RE: HUGE price rise, format conversions, and HTML Transit
From: "Ed Nixon" <ed -dot- nixon -at- LynnParkPlace -dot- org>
To: "'Sandra Charker'" <scharker -at- connectives -dot- com>, "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 1999 15:56:06 -0500

Thanks for that update on HTML Transit. I've looked at it informally in the
past come to more or less the same conclusions although the Framemaker angle
is news to me.

I have a couple of questions for you by way of responding to yours:
- are you sure the $5000 number is not for the Transit Central component (or
is that going up in price, as well.)
- why would you want to make a personal investment in a product whose makers
seem to be repositioning to the corporate market?
- its hard to answer your question directly because you don't really talk
about your requirements in any detail.

If low volume conversion of Word content to HTML is a major requirement,
there are a number of ways that can be done with either free utilities or
shareware products. One option, for example, would be to Save as HTML and
then run the freeware Tidy utility against the result. You can find Tidy at
http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/.

Of course, avoiding Word entirely for content creation can be a bracing,
refreshing experience. I've made a personal investment in the latest version
of WordPerfect Office 2000 solely for the pretty decent XML editing
environment. While earlier versions of WP were pretty wonky and unstable,
I've found this version to be very reliable and there are more ways, i.e.,
format conversions, in and out of WP than most any other desktop tool. That
said, the HTML conversion filter does add some of its own twists and shouts
(but not to the extent of Word).