Re: The writer who didn't work out

Subject: Re: The writer who didn't work out
From: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 1999 19:08:09 -0500

>> If the prospective company's employees are not forthcoming with the
information you need for you to make an intelligent decision whether
or not you would want to work there, then that's a Big Red Warning Flag!

Please remember that the prospective company's employees are probably loyal
to their employer, and thus reluctant to candidly tell a stranger not to
take a job there.

Several years ago, a complete stranger called me at home. She explained
that she had interviewed for a position in my division, but a colleague
told her that it was a terrible place to work, and suggested that she call
ME for confirmation. I was NOT a happy camper about being placed in that
position, because -- although I, myself, was very happy there -- it sounded
as though she would be better off looking elsewhere. The problem was that
she wanted to learn IDMS (which even I, who have never programmed
mainframes, knew was almost obsolete), and that her company had been taken
over and had to close her division, but would have paid her a hefty
severance package if she stayed a few months longer. However, I was loyal
to my employer, and couldn't bring myself to tell her not to work there. I
ended up telling her that I, myself was very happy there (true), and that
if she had any questions she should ask her prospective employer -- since
no interviewer is going to spell out any negative aspects, but that I was
confident that he would answer honestly if she raised the questions -- and
stressed that, even if I thought she shouldn't work there, I could not say
so since my first loyalty was to the company. In other words, although I
was very happy there, there was a chance that she wouldn't be -- and, as a
loyal employee, I couldn't bring myself to talk people out of coming to
work there.

So please -- take the above gentleman's advice and pay careful attention to
what is or is not said, keeping in mind that the employee does not know you
(and has no way of knowing whether or not you'll cite HIM as the reason you
decided not to take the job!), and that his first loyalty is to his
employer. He may thus be very reluctant to come right out and discourage
you from taking the job -- so listen carefully to what he does and doesn't say.