Re: Recruiters, capitalism, etc. (ethical consulting practices?)

Subject: Re: Recruiters, capitalism, etc. (ethical consulting practices?)
From: "Tom Campbell" <klook -at- eudoramail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 1999 13:33:19 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote:
"Well, when a recruiter finds you a job, you have to pay. In this case it is usually merely information. I think telling recruiters where you are interviewing is a pretty small price to pay for a good job."

A recruiter has no more business asking me what other companies I'm interviewing with than I have asking them what other tech writers they're considering. When they're ready to submit me to their client, all they have to do is ask me if I'll sign an agreement allowing them to represent me exclusively to that client for a specified period, say 30 days.

That's fair and reasonable. And if the issue is avoiding double submissions, that does the trick.

Sure, I could be a low-down snake-in-the-grass and go apply at that client company on my own, or through another agency, before the 30 days is up, but I'd be risking legal consequences and damage to my reputation, either of which would be far more costly than any temporary advantage I'd gain.

The price I pay a technical services agency for finding me a good job is their percentage of the bill rate.

To use your other example, Andrew--real estate commission--I don't have to give the real estate agent names of prospective buyers or sellers of houses in return for their finding me a good house. Their commission is their compensation.

---
Tom Campbell
"I try to leave out the parts that people skip."
--Elmore Leonard