RE: Worries about tools

Subject: RE: Worries about tools
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "'John Wilcox'" <jwilcox -at- tcsi -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 14:08:27 -0500

I say take the job if the project is going to make you happy. Personally
I'm less concerned about which tool they want me to use than I am whether I
have a cool, exciting project to work on and working for a supportive
non-micromanager. I can deal with Word, because I've worked with it for so
long. I couldn't deal with documenting a Windows 3.1 application over a DB2
database even if they gave me Framemaker, Documentum and a platoon of
flunkies to type it for me.

If I refused to work somewhere that only used word and robohelp, I wouldn't
have had half the fun I've had in the last few years. I'd love to learn
Framemaker, but it isn't going to make or break the project I'm working on
now. So I compromise between the two positions posters are espousing. The
right tools make a huge difference, but it wouldn't matter if I hated the
product. Besides, cussing at Word lets me vent when I need it :)

Connie Giordano