RE: Ever see this word used this way?

Subject: RE: Ever see this word used this way?
From: "RUBOTTOM, AL" <ARUBOTTOM -at- SENSORMATIC-VPD -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 1999 17:29:28 -0800

je pense que,,,
I mean, I think that this is a side-effect of the dreaded deconstruction
movement that has held sway
in many academic disciplines for the last decade or two. Otherwise innocuous
intellectual pursuits
like literature, comparative lit., psychology, sociology, psychosociology,
anthropology, etc., have all
been "impacted" [or should I say beaten all to hell beyond recognition?
FUBAR?] by the insidious
creeping influence of Derrida & his ilk, post-, neo- or otherwise
incarnated.
I'm half-kidding, but seriously, this intellectually bankrupt paradigm has
thoroughly penetrated much
of what used to be respectable fields of study & learning.

If you ever tune into the current crop of college professors, their
curricula & what is fashionable, trendy,
or "In" as thesis topics & research endeavors [and accordingly, what you
must study to get hired], you'll
find an alarming [to me] degree of acceptance of Derrida/deconstruction as a
"legit" approach to almost any
field. It is way beyond amusing, since tens of thousands of students are
being taught that this kind of
"analysis" [it ain't truly analytic, but that's another debate...] is
actually meritorious [when it is in fact
meretricious].

ahhhh, just had to get that off my chest, ma poitrine, my rib-encased
intersititally laminated heart cavity,
the metaphoric significance of which can be seen in the recurrent rib motif
in American, not to mention
third-world, cooking, architecture, popular music, high art, low art,
outsider art & mass mediated fetishes.

eh bien, les gars, allons épater le bourgeois!

Albert à la barbe-grise