Re: "Two-tracked documentation"

Subject: Re: "Two-tracked documentation"
From: "Mark Baker" <mbaker -at- omnimark -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 15:08:40 -0500

John Locke writes

> Our job is to plan and write documents. If you have two different purposes
> to address, sometimes you can address both, at the expense of being
perfect
> for neither.

If we had some ham we could have ham and eggs, if we had some eggs.

Or, in other words, It is not a matter of choosing between accuracy and
readability. You have to have both or you have nothing.

All communication exists to change behavior. Successful communications
provokes the right behavior. To do this you must be both accurate and
readable.

If you want ham and eggs, you needs ham, and you need eggs. It is pointless
to argue which is more important. The whole point of ham and eggs is that
you have both ham and eggs. Sine qua non.