RE: HTML editor

Subject: RE: HTML editor
From: "Brierley, Sean" <Sean -at- Quodata -dot- Com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 1999 11:40:10 -0500

Hallo:

I use Hotmetal Pro 5 (used 3 and 4 before that). I have not upgraded and am
seriously considering splurging for Dreamweaver 3 or GoLive4. Of the latter
two, most agree Dreamweaver is *the* tool of choice. The main reason I'm
taking a second look at GoLive is that I'd like to standardise on as few
software manufacturers as I can, and I use a couple of other significant
Adobe products.

As for Hotmetal Pro, plusses include easy to use WYSIWYG and tags view, and
there is a code view that lets you get into text editing as well as any
other tool. Furthermore, Hotmetal does not do the code-bloat thing, and
Hotmetal sites are pretty browser neutral. Negatives include a lack of
automation for Javascripting and other things (which is why Hotmetal does
not bloat like Dreamweaver, etc.), and SoftQuad's Hotmetal tends to be a tad
on the buggy side, requiring continuous application of patches, or bug
fixes. These bugs, tho', are not usually too harmful, and the price makes
Hotmetal a very attractive product. Plus, Hotmetal hosts a couple of forums
that add a huge value in support . . ..

HTH,

Sean
sean -at- quodata -dot- com