RE: Discouraging supervisor from tangential assignment

Subject: RE: Discouraging supervisor from tangential assignment
From: kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 1999 13:34:22 -0600

And I never thought to have experience with UML (universal modeling language),
creating Entity Relationship Diagrams to explain how the parts of a database
work together, or learn a new tool (AuthorIT) because the ones I know and love
to hate are reducing my efficiency. I never thought I'd be responsible for
leading a company-wide process improvement initiative, and in my wildest dreams
I never thought I'd be responsible for the business analysis of our customers'
needs and creating data models for them.

Whew! I was also scared mindless for the first few days I did any of those.
Still am--trying to get my brain around object-oriented approach to
documentation and the jargon associated with databases and VB programming.

You can do this. Access has a wonderful introductory portion on the Help file
(re-install the complete Help file if it's not there) which had greatly aided me
in understanding the basics of relational databases in general.

It's not so tangential, really. Go for it! Rise to the challenge. Databases are
WAY cool and are the foundation of many, many enterprises--you can run right
now, but you won't be able to hide.

Buy books. Enroll in ZDU online and take a short course. This will be a Good
Thing.

Your cheerleader,

--Kimber

Kimber Miller
Affiliated Computer Services
Dallas, Texas
214.887.7408

Little minds are interested in the extraordinary; great minds in the
commonplace. --Elbert Hubbard