RE: What's Telecom?

Subject: RE: What's Telecom?
From: kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com
To: <michaelj -at- oecmed -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1999 12:31:49 -0600

Hi, Michael:

I market myself as having telecom experience because I've worked at GTE and MCI.
While there, I saw the term 'telecom' used to abbreviate 'telecommunications' as
well as 'telephone company.' Rightly or Wrongly or Idiosyncratically.

My experience in telecom is very specific and there's a boatload of information
that I'm utterly clueless about. While I know services and regulations (PUC,
FCC--like that), I don't know diddly about engineering or billing structures,
for example. I do still market myself with telecom experience and re-route
anyone who wants to know if I can write about the design of a PBX that serves
2000 users on a 5-building campus.

You might very well have a good understanding of telecommunications, but you'll
need to know what the phone companies call your area of expertise.

Here in Dallas, the telecom companies frequently jointly host job fairs, which
are great places to informally talk to the company recruiters. You might also
ask a telco ('telephone company' alternate abbreviation) recruiter, or an agency
recruiter, for 15 minutes of phone time to outline your skills or to ask
questions about their hiring areas. Try perusing the job listings for the large
companies and see what job descriptions fit your skills and experiences.

Good luck! Enjoy the afternoon,

--Kimber

Kimber Miller
kimber_miller -at- acs-inc -dot- com
Affiliated Computer Services
Dallas, Texas
214.887.7408

Little minds are interested in the extraordinary; great minds in the
commonplace. --Elbert Hubbard