Re: greetings and salutations

Subject: Re: greetings and salutations
From: "Lisa MacDonald" <lisa -dot- macdonald -at- discreet -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 12:25:48 -0500

>When writing a cover letter is it considered bad form to begin with the
>recruiters first name? Too personal?..<snip>...Basically I'm having trouble
with the Ms., Miss, Mrs., thing.

I agree with the suggestions of either "Dear Jane Doe" or "Dear Ms. Doe". I
generally use the latter simply because the former sounds a bit like something
out of a form letter ("DEAR JANE DOE, YOU MAY ALREADY BE A WINNER!"). ;-)

>Also, is an email query considered a formal cover letter?

It depends on the reason why you're sending the query. If you're responding to
a job posting and are including your CV (resume), I suggest that you treat your
email like a covering letter. I think it's redundant to send an email with a
covering letter as well.

Happy holidays!
Cheers,
Lisa

Lisa MacDonald
technical writer*
Advanced Systems

*from discreet (lost our logic on a flume ride last summer)
Fun thing to do at the office #17:
For an hour, refer to everyone you speak to as "Bob."