Re: HUMOR: Stupid instructions

Subject: Re: HUMOR: Stupid instructions
From: "David Castro, The Tech Writer" <thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Paul Branchaud <paul -at- zeroknowledge -dot- com>, TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 14:15:26 -0800 (PST)

--- Paul Branchaud <paul -at- zeroknowledge -dot- com> wrote:
> Trying to steer my message onto something resembling a valid topic:
>
> Has anyone ever contacted the manufacturer of a product with poor
> instructions and offered their professional services?

Better yet, while still a student, I rewrote the instruction sheet that came
with aquarium kits that a pet store sold without asking. The instructions I got
were obviously copies of copies of copies (and not even good ones, at that).
They were very poorly worded, with a lot of misspellings.

I reworked the format, the wording, and included a drawing of the "layers" of
the fish tank, had about 100 copies made at Kinkos, and then dropped it off on
their front counter when nobody was up there (I was a bit shy about it, then).

I found later that they were, indeed, using the new instructions that I had
created.

I've done the same thing for the rate sheet at an apartment complex I lived in
(after getting a headache from trying to figure out what it meant). :-)

-David Castro
techwrtr -at- crl -dot- com
thetechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com