Re: HTML Code for "Greater Than or Equals to" Symbol

Subject: Re: HTML Code for "Greater Than or Equals to" Symbol
From: "Steven J. Owens" <puff -at- netcom -dot- com>
To: Fred -dot- Ridder -at- Dialogic -dot- com
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1999 15:42:26 -0800 (PST)

Ridder, Fred writes:
> On Mon, 20 Dec 1999 10:28:20 -0500 Leslie Grimm asked
> >I apologize if this is a little off topic ...
> >Does anyone know if there is an HTML code for the "greater than or equals
> >to" symbol? If there is one, I have not been able to find it.
>
> A very useful resource with a wealth of information on all things HTML
> is the Web Design Group (WDG) website. Among other things, this site
> provides a chart (in several forms) of the ISO 8859-1 character set that
> is specified in the HTML standard. Check out this character set for
> http:\\www.htmlhelp.com\reference\charset
> According to the charts and other information on this website, there is
> no entity in this official character set for the greater-than-or-equal-to
> symbol.

Hm, I don't know offhand if it's "official" or not, but there are two
tags to do this:

less than (<) is "&lt;"
greater than (>) is "&gt;"

The semi-colon is part of the tag. The quotes aren't. These
tags are kinda necessary, since otherwise it's impossible to put
examples of HTML tags in a web page. Since some of the earliest web
pages were on how to write web pages, I suspect they ran into this
issue quite early on :-).

Steven J. Owens
puff -at- netcom -dot- com