great font for lines of code

Subject: great font for lines of code
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 1999 07:32:16 -0800 (PST)

Over the holiday, I read through a large presentation
volume by Sumner Stone, entitled "On Stone."

Besides being the biggest promo I've ever seen for a
type family (Stone Sans, Stone Serif, and Stone
Informal), it had many tricks for using type well.

A page was devoted to technical manuals, in which a
sample is shown which uses Stone Informal for the code
examples that the user inputs, and Stone Sans Bold
Italic, as I recall, for the computer generated stuff.
A similar effect could be achieved with other type
families as well, I'd think. It was very effective and
a good, easily understandable variable to the usual
Courier font for the use.

By the way, the sample was about a half letter size,
split vertically. It also was bound with a spiral or
"wire-O" binding. Stone pointed out that many tech
manuals containing a lot of code samples typically has
a huge amount of wasted space. The vertical
orientation looked very good. The binding was intended
to lie flat rather than juggling a typical binding
while at the keyboard.

All in all, some extremely interesting design details
throughout the volume. I picked it up at a remainders
store for $10 or so. It would be well worth reading by
anyone who must do layouts of various kinds...and
don't we all?

Happy holidays to all.

David Neeley