Subject: Summary: Alignment of Headers and Footers in Word.
From: Nicolette Srivastava <nicolette -dot- srivastava -at- htcinc -dot- com>
To: "'TECHWR-L'" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "'TWIN'" <twin -at- user -dot- itconsult -dot- co -dot- uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 1999 11:20:29 +0530

Thanks to all for the many suggestions I received regarding alignment of Headers and Footers in Word on portrait and landscape oriented pages.

The suggestion that many people made which worked for me was to simply create two different styles - one for portrait and one for landscape, and then teach the users of the template to apply them. The one caveat that I would add is to also teach the users to remove the "same as previous" setting on the header/footer before applying the new style.

The other responses I received were as follows:

David Chinell suggests (in addition to the styles described above):

<snip>
Finally, another option is to rotate the contents of the landscape page (as
in a drawing program) but leave the headers and footers in the same place as
for a portrait page.

This is an advantage to the reader in most cases, and has the happy bonus of
simplifying your Word document -- no section breaks, no footer formatting
problems, etc.
</snip>

Mukesh Tekwani suggested the use of a macro (if anyone wants to see the actual macro, please email me directly).

<snip>
Try using this macro in Word 97. Call it, say, MyFooter. Create an appropriate shorcut key for it, say ALT-1.

Now start a new document in word, in lets say Portrait mode. Pressing ALT-1 should give you the footer as desired. Create another new document in Landscape mode, and pressing ALT-1 should again give you the desired footer.

By the way, this macro is set up for A4 size paper; chnage the values in Pagewidth, pageheight, margins, etc as per your requrements.

</snip>

Again, many thanks and Happy Holidays!

Nicolette Srivastava
Manager, Technical Documentation
Hi Tech Consultants, Inc.
mailto:nicolette -dot- srivastava -at- htcinc -dot- com
http://www.htcinc.com