RE: Compellation program recommendations for Modular/Sectional documentation

Subject: RE: Compellation program recommendations for Modular/Sectional documentation
From: Diane Pol <Diane -dot- Pol -at- morbark -dot- com>
To: Nina Barzgaran <e -dot- dickinson -at- gmx -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2023 19:09:53 +0000

Thank you, Nina!

I greatly appreciate the advice! You are so right, it will not be a quick process, but will be worth it in the end. I have started testing the product that we are currently using, to see what it is capable of.

Unfortunately, with our current system, to be able to pick specific modules for specific customers, I would have to resave the individual documents within that âBookâ. This defeats the purpose of single sourcing the information. I do not want to edit 200 or more documents when there is a needed update.

I am looking at a number of documentation products and hope to be able to find something that will work for us going forward. Our goal is to be able to streamline, not only for the sake of edits, but to cut down on translation costs.

Diane

Von: "Diane Pol" <Diane -dot- Pol -at- morbark -dot- com<mailto:Diane -dot- Pol -at- morbark -dot- com>>
An: "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com<mailto:techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com<mailto:techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>>
I am at the beginning stage of my research for a Compellation program or possible CMS. I have read through numerous Techwr-l messages, as well as intercom and Technical Communication articles. I have also reached out to multiple industry mentors.

I am looking to update my departments documentation procedures, and therefor seeking insight and advice.

We are writing a series of documents, with each completed document showing a single procedure. The goal is to have the documents available in both on line and printed formats.

The online documents will be complete (modular/sectional) documents, for each individual procedure. The printed document, will be a custom selection of the modular/sectional documents, based on the client's needs.

My goal is to have an encompassing TOC, Index, and continual page numbering for the printed document. The online documents will have hyperlinks to related topics.

What program(s) have been used and are recommended for this type of process?

Thank you,
Diane Pol

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com

You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as e -dot- dickinson -at- gmx -dot- net<mailto:e -dot- dickinson -at- gmx -dot- net>.

Send administrative questions to admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com<mailto:admin -at- techwr-l -dot- com>. Visit

Visit TechWhirl for the latest on content technology, content strategy and content development | https://techwhirl.com