RE: FW: The Old Argument: Framemaker vs. MS Word

Subject: RE: FW: The Old Argument: Framemaker vs. MS Word
From: "Smith, Martin" <smithmr -at- encorp -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2000 11:39:23 -0700

Marc Santacroce wrote
>I was told to expect v6 this year.

I heard the same thing. Also, companies that develop add-on products for
FrameMaker are alive and well.

I also see the beta LINUX port, which was discounted in an earlier post, as
highly significant. Two years ago I had a conversation with someone at Adobe
which lead me to doubt whether a LINUX port would ever become a reality. I
downloaded the beta yesterday and can't wait to give it a try.

I use both Frame and Word and couldn't part with either of them.

Also, if I could change the subject, I found a great utility the other day
for Windows 95/98/NT which some may find useful. It's called "Where Is It"
and automatically builds databases of all files in a given drive, or of all
files rooted at a specific directory. The program allows you to label,
categorize, sort, and open files. I am the lone technical writer for a
startup company. I am currently trying to make sense of more than 4,000
files that I've located scattered about the company. Of course there are
many duplicates and many outdated versions. What's so great about this
program is that you can delete these outdated files from the catalog, as
well as track which files need work and which files you're finished with.
Enjoy. Check out http://www.whereisit-soft.com.

Martin R. Smith
Technical Writer / Audiophile
ENCORP: The Energy Automation Company, http://www.encorp.com