RE: (no subject)

Subject: RE: (no subject)
From: "Murrell, Thomas" <TMurrell -at- alldata -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- LISTS -dot- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:32:57 -0500

I would think about what function that marching T or R is performing for the
user. It sounds to me like the character marching across the screen is
telling the user two things. First, it is reminding the user what is
happening; the user is transmitting data (or receiving data if it's an R).
Second, the marching character is reassuring the user that the system is
still functioning properly. Any time a system is tied up performing a task
for up to 45 minutes, there is a danger that the user will lose patience and
decide that the system is frozen or stuck in a loop of some kind.

If the user understands what the marching character means, that is, to me,
more important than the specific name you give it.

Tom Murrell