Re: Pay rate for contractor with no experience

Subject: Re: Pay rate for contractor with no experience
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 10:08:09 -0600

If I'm paid on a 1099, I am responsible for paying all the taxes to IRS
(Internal Revenue Service, also known as "Infernal" Revenue Service). I get the
full gross amount of my earnings. On a 1099 I am not entitled to any company
supplied benefits.

If I'm paid on a W-2, the agency takes out all the appropriate taxes and I get
the net amount. If' I'm on a W-2, I MAY (operative word, here) be eligible for
benefits such as a 401(k) (it's a tax-deferred retirement account), medical
benefits, life insurance, etc.

Jo