Re: RE. Have you seen this GUI element [...]?

Subject: Re: RE. Have you seen this GUI element [...]?
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com>
To: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>, Tech Writing List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 16:45:35 -0600

At 08:29 AM 2/25/00, Hart, Geoff wrote:

Karen Peterson wonders <<My co-worker recently designed an interface with a
control that I am not familiar with, but I don't think he made it up. He has
what looks like a drop-down box, but instead of an arrow, the button at the
right has an
ellipsis. When you click the ellipsis, another window appears, allowing you
to select multiple values for the box.>>

I don't think I've ever seen the ellipsis (...) used as a button, but it is
part of the interface standard for both Mac and Windows: whenever a menu
choice gives you a series of options (i.e., a dialog box) rather than
immediately performing some function, the menu text is followed by the three
dots. Compare File->Save as... (where you have to provide a name and
directory) with File->Save (where the current name and directory are
assumed).

I've seen the ellipses used as a button, as Karen described. There was a place where I was doing RoboHelp documentation where all the drop-down menus had that. All the work was on-site, so I don't have any picutres to send, but I'm pretty sure it is some kind of Windows standard. It was my first experience with Win95, so I assumed the two were associated, though not necessarily, obviously.

--
Beth Friedman / bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
Lex clavatoris designati rescindenda est.