TechWhirl (TECHWR-L) is a resource for technical writing and technical communications professionals of all experience levels and in all industries to share their experiences and acquire information.
For two decades, technical communicators have turned to TechWhirl to ask and answer questions about the always-changing world of technical communications, such as tools, skills, career paths, methodologies, and emerging industries. The TechWhirl Archives and magazine, created for, by and about technical writers, offer a wealth of knowledge to everyone with an interest in any aspect of technical communications.
Subject:Am I employable? From:tf -at- malcolmsmith -dot- net To:TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com> Date:Tue, 07 Mar 2000 01:59:14 +0200 (EET)
This is my first post, so take it easy on me! Maybe you guys can
provide some insight about what I need to finally land that tech
- I have a BA in Technical Writing
- I have decent computer skills: I maintain a website that I
hand-coded, I've written a few scripts, I use Linux.
- I'm a pretty good writer in general (though rusty at the moment)
- I'm an all-around great guy :-)
I'm sure the employers on this list are just chomping at the bit.
Here are some "problem areas":
- My resume is terrible. It's old, has nothing but coursework and
unrelated experience on it.
- I don't really know the tools. FrameMaker? Ack. Word? Haven't
messed with a Microsoft product in a while...
- The skills I have, I can't easily define.
If I get any response from this post, I suspect it will be of a "you
can't get there from here" variety--but I thought I'd throw it out