Re: Education for tech writers

Subject: Re: Education for tech writers
From: Jo Francis Byrd <jbyrd -at- byrdwrites -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 08:13:16 -0600

NO WAY do I feel formal education is a waste of time!!!!! My daughters knew from
the moment of conception they were expected to go to college and finish. I do
not regret my degrees, though if I were starting all over I would not choose the
degrees I have. Now I would get my undergrad degree in technical communication
and my master's in Information Science. But those didn't exist back in 19 mumble
mumble.

What I DID say, was that by the time I discovered the certification program, it
would have been counter productive IN MY CASE. Had I know about it in the
beginning....oh, I'da been there! In a heartbeat!

Hope this clarifies things!

Jo Byrd

"Brady, Joy" wrote, in part:

> Peter's response to Jo Francis Byrd
> "I sense from your posting that you feel formal education is a waste
> of time. For some it may be. Did you ever think about what you really do
> with that time you save? Exactly what are you sacrificing? "
>

> I truly didn't get that impression from Jo's post. What I gathered instead is
> that she has managed through effort and longevity to gain a lot of the lessons
> (practical and philosophical I'm sure, or she would not enjoy being a regular
> poster to this list) that she could get from pursuing a formal degree.

Training & consulting for RoboHELP, Dreamweaver, HTML, and HTML-Based Help.
More info at http://www.weisner.com/train/ or mailto:training -at- weisner -dot- com -dot-

Sponsored by Rose Hill, Your Business and Career Coach.
"Assume Success! Live Your Passion!" Get the gist at
www.coachrose.com then call 503.629.4804 for details!

---
You are currently subscribed to techwr-l as: jorgeprado -at- arnet -dot- com -dot- ar