RE: HELP! (Word/Visio File Size) SUMMARY AND THANKS

Subject: RE: HELP! (Word/Visio File Size) SUMMARY AND THANKS
From: "Harry Bacheler" <hbacheler -at- geo -dot- census -dot- gov>
To: <BlaineBachman -at- bia -dot- gov>, "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 16:11:53 -0500

To All

If you use the "Save As ..." button every once in a while you will see the
file stay small.

What is happening, otherwise, is the document carries around all of the
changes you have made.
This allows you to make use of the "Undo" key over several
'saves/close/opens' of the document.

In the "save" mode the application carries all of the garbage with it.

In the "Save As ..." mode, garbage collection is exercised,
and the garbage (extraneous stuff) is NOT saved with the file.

We would remember that all files could be considered as 'linked lists'.
The 'inserted/deleted' parts are just added to/deleted from the linked
list.

A technical description would take too long. If you want a more complete
explanation (as I see it, I would be glad to make up a drawing and
illustrate it)>

I hope that this helps.

Harry M. Bacheler, Jr.
Consultant
VGS, Inc.

"The thoughts, ideas, and opinions expressed in my portion of this email
are mine and mine alone.  They are not the thoughts, ideas, and/or
opinions of any past, present, or future employers, or any group that I
might belong to."

********** see my explanation above ***********