RE: HTML ToC and Index

Subject: RE: HTML ToC and Index
From: "Jessica N. Lange" <jlange -at- oee -dot- com>
To: "TechWR-L" <TECHWR-L -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>, "JG" <johng -at- zyxel -dot- com -dot- tw>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 08:25:01 -0500

John wondered "How can I create a "real" HTML ToC and Index?"

Have you considered Microsoft's HTMLHelp workshop? Also free;
does allow *fairly* easy creation of TOC/Index; it can be served to
users as a compiled file instead of the multitude of HTML files
plain vanilla HTML Help requires; does require IE on users machine,
but user can still use NN for preferred browser.

There are a number of javascript programs for creating TOCs,
just look up menus or navigation in any of the javascript sites.

The only program I've come across for *easy* creation and
maintenance of an HTML index is pricey: 240.00 US$ but it
does get good reviews:
HTML Indexer
www.html-indexer.com/index.htm

For *lots* more information and help on HTML Help, you might
want to check out the Winhelp mailing list (yup, they discuss
HTML Help and javascript & indexes & more besides).

WinHelp Mail List home page (to subscribe):
www.humberc.on.ca/~byrnes/winhelp.html

Searchable archives:
www.documentation.com/archives/winhelp-l/winhelp-l

HTH
Jessica

Jessica N. Lange mailto:jlange -at- oee -dot- com
Technical Communicator, Ohio Electronic Engravers, Inc.