RE: Average Length of TW Resume

Subject: RE: Average Length of TW Resume
From: Win Day <winday -at- home -dot- com>
To: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 07:55:34 -0500

At 07:48 AM 3/30/00 -0500, Scottie Lover wrote:

At 07:11 AM 03/30/2000 -0500, Win Day wrote:
>>... show a portfolio of samples to demonstrate our skills and versatility.)
>Ah, but some of us can't do that. The material I
>write for almost all of my clients is proprietary...

Under those circumstances, wouldn't it be possible to write something
highlighting your best writing? It wouldn't matter if it were directions
for boiling water; the point is that it be something that you feel shows
off your best efforts. That would enable you to show SOMETHING to
prospective employers, to whom you could explain that your professional
writings all contain proprietary information which you obviously cannot
show anyone else.

To be honest, I've never needed to. I've been freelancing for 8 years, and have no problems landing the next contract. Some of it is repeat business from former clients, most of it is through referrals.

Only once was I ever turned down because I couldn't produce a portfolio.

I've been hearing more and more horror stories lately, both on this list and from colleagues who recruit writer, about candidates who make false claims about material in their portfolios. I avoid the whole situation by not having one!

Win

Win Day
Technical Writer

http://www.wordsplus.net