Re: Request for Resume samples and Writing samples

Subject: Re: Request for Resume samples and Writing samples
From: Scottie Lover <iluvscotties -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 15:59:13 -0500

At 10:47 AM 03/31/2000 -0800, Cherish683 -at- aol -dot- com wrote:
>... What "type" of writing samples are potential employers
looking for? I need someone that can advise me on what to
>put in a sample book. Since I am still a rookie, I don't have
>any elaborate TW samples that other TW's have. I am
>losing a lot of job opportunities because I don't have a Killer
>writing sample book...

I would suggest that you go through newspaper ads (e.g., the Sunday "New
York Times", or something comparable for your area of the country) and look
at ads for the types of positions in which you're interested.

List all the qualities/experience/skills they're seeking. Give lots of
thought about this, and add any qualities/skills/experience that would also
prove very helpful or useful for that type of position.

If you have any writing samples that demonstrate those skills/qualities,
use them. If not, write them ... You could do a volunteer project for your
church, temple, or community association, write an article for a magazine
or newsletter (even your local Pennysaver) ... Just think about what
people in your area might want to learn, and write the best article of
which you're capable).

In other words, if you don't already have a portfolio, build one.

"Scottie"
(The Scottish Terrier Lover)