Re: Request for Resume samples and Writing samples

Subject: Re: Request for Resume samples and Writing samples
From: kwhitehead -at- xn-tech -dot- com
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 08:20:30 -0700

>I think this kind of flippant reply to someone seeking answers is uncalled
for. What's wrong with helping a person >breaking into the field feel more
confident in the material they DO have to present? Instead of thinly
disguised >assumptions of unethical intentions, why not remain silent if
you can't offer positive feedback? Why would new >subscribers or new TWs
want to seek advice from a professional list such as this if members
respond so >unprofessionally?

While the answers given may have been flippant, I don't think they were all
that uncalled for. I, too, was suspicious when I read the original post
requesting writing samples. What good are samples written by a stranger?
If someone really wants to learn how to write well, create good samples, or
build a fabulous portfolio, then that person should (as has been suggested)
go out and get some experience, even if he/she has to volunteer at first.
He/she could go to the local college and talk with an English professor who
would probably be able to give some good advice. (As an aside, the
original poster was not asking for advice, he/she was asking for people to
send him/her writing samples - there's a big difference.) I imagine
everyone on this list got their start in some way other than requesting
writing samples from established writers.

If you are interested in helping this person, why don't *you* send some of
*your* writing?